From the desk of Sheriff Cleveland “Clee” Atkinson, Jr….
With recent events and unrest in our nation, my top priorities as Sheriff of Edgecombe County is the safety of my deputies and serving and protect the citizens of this county through our core values of Respect, Integrity & Professionalism. As an outcome of such, we would like to take time out to reassure our citizens by sharing some common practices that are implemented in our Office. They are designed to ensure fairness and transparency through our service.
• Deputies receive and will continue to receive Implicit bias Policing training.
• Deputies have been outfitted with modern Axon body cameras to record encounters with the public, the cameras automatically activate when the taser or firearm is unholstered, eradicating user error.
• Our policy requires other law enforcement officers to intervene and make a report when they witness unnecessary force being used.
• We follow the Use of Force Continuum and receive training on it each year.
• Deputies are to give a warning before utilizing force when circumstances allow.
• We have established a Use of Force review board.
• Deputies are held to a strict social media usage policy both, on and off duty.
• We continue to actively build community relations.
We continue to train and improve our operations to comply with federal and state law, as well as best practices to assure we serve our citizens to the best of our ability and power.
Cleveland “Clee” Atkinson
Sheriff of Edgecombe County