Board delays decision on Princeville school – Rocky Mount Telegram

The Watch Dog response: Dr. Bridges did the right thing because the County Commissioners fund the school system and the town of Princeville Commissioners need to come together and make sure everything is in place. What folk need to understand is that the elected officials can listen to the citizens but they have to make the best decision that they will be accountable for. Putting the school system back up and rolling is one thing but to be able have long term funding is the main thing. I don’t get it because just like the children moved during the school year due to the flood they can move during the school year if necessary. I remember we moved into a new high school SouthWest during the school year of February 1979 because I helped some teachers move.

TARBORO — The fate of Princeville Elementary School still remains uncertain as Monday night’s expected vote on the issue did not take place.

The “approval of Princeville Elementary School” was listed on the agenda for the Edgecombe County Public Schools Board of Education meeting, and the school board was expected to vote on the restoration of the school that was flooded in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew roughly a year ago. However, Superintendent Dr. Valerie Bridges announced at the meeting that the vote had been delayed.

“At this time we will need to remove that item,” Bridges said. “There are a couple of meetings that need to occur before we make a final decision or it is brought to a vote before the board.” (Rocky Mount Telegram)

Advertisements

Edgecombe County – Visit Rep. Shelly Willingham Webpage For Updates

#Princeville NC, first incorporated town established by former slaves in the US, now under water from flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. Rep. Shelly Willingham, Congressman GK Butterfield, Tarboro Fire Chief , Edgecombe County Commissioner Viola Harris.

Erica Smith-Ingram's photo.

Erica Smith-Ingram's photo.

Erica Smith-Ingram's photo.

Erica Smith-Ingram's photo.

Erica Smith-Ingram's photo.

INTERSTATE 95: Parts of I-95 to remain closed until November, DOT says

The N.C. Department of Transportation updated estimates on opening portions of Interstate 95 closed by flooding Thursday afternoon.

Northbound lanes in Robeson County between Exit 13 (I-74) and Exit 22 (U.S. 301) are not expected to open before Nov. 1 at 5 p.m.

Southbound lanes in Cumberland and Robeson counties between Exit 56 (U.S. 301) and Exit 13 (I-74) are not expected to open before midnight Wednesday.

Friday morning, southbound lanes in Harnett and Johnston counties are expected to open between Exit 79 (I-40) and Exit 77 (Hodges Chapel Road).

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/weather/parts-of-i–to-remain-closed-until-november-dot/article_1b5314d0-7516-5cab-b4ee-b9b648b8a846.html

Tarboro NC – ATTENTION IF YOU’RE STAYING AT A HOTEL DUE TO THE FLOOD:

Stephanie Luchele Barnes

ATTENTION IF YOU’RE STAYING AT A HOTEL DUE TO THE FLOOD: The first 50 candidates that sign up and qualify as families affected by the flood will have an opportunity to wash & dry 2 loads of laundry at the Wash House in Tarboro for FREE per family. This Saturday October 15, 2016 from 7:00am-12:00 noon. Please inbox Kanesha Spruell Yvette Jones,LarmekaT Jones, Temekia Shaw or Chiquana Dancy for details and to sign up. The offer will expire after all slots are filled!

Food Stamp recipients approved to buy hot meals in North Carolina

By Angela Green Published: October 14, 2016, 10:40 pm

food-stamps

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCT) –  Food and Nutrition Services (food stamps) recipients in all 100 counties in North Carolina are approved to purchase hot meals from authorized Electronic Benefits Transfer retailers starting, Saturday October 15.

According to a news release from the state Department of Health and Human Services, North Carolina officials made the request to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The waiver will run through November 14.

“Under normal Food and Nutrition Services rules, hot food prepared for immediate consumption is not eligible for purchase at authorized retailer,” the release said. “With the widespread damage caused by Hurricane Matthew, many citizens in North Carolina have been displaced from their homes.”

Areas affected by Matthew are allowing current food stamps recipients to receive replacement benefits. The deadline for replacement requests is Tuesday, October 18.

The state is still awaiting federal approval to provide disaster food stamps to residents who do not currently receive the benefits, but who had flood damage or power outages.

For more information on the hot food waiver, call 211 or go to unitedwaync.org/nc211

http://wnct.com/2016/10/14/food-stamp-recipients-approved-to-buy-hot-meals-in-north-carolina/

FEMA AID Hurricane Matthews Aftermath

Residents hoping to get disaster assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency should apply as soon as possible.

The agency provides grants to help people pay for a place to stay if they can’t stay in their home and to repair their home.

“It’s money that doesn’t need to be paid back,” said Bill Lehman, a FEMA spokesman.

[Latest update from Cumberland County on Wednesday for FEMA]

The funds do not duplicate money that will be paid through insurance claims, he said.

Residents in Cumberland, Bladen, Columbus, Hoke, Robeson, Edgecombe, Lenoir, Nash, Pitt, and counties can apply. Homeowners, renters and business owners who suffered loss or damages due to Hurricane Matthew can register for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362).

Applicants with a speech disability or hearing loss who use TTY should call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) can call 800-621-3362.

The telephone numbers are open now from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week. Operators who understand multiple languages are available.

Once a resident has registered, he or she will get a call from a housing inspector “within a short period of time” to set up an appointment, Lehman said.

Residents should have a copy of their insurance policy, their Social Security numbers, and information about the damage, including photos if they have them.

Once the inspector completes a report, funds are often deposited in the resident’s bank account within a week.

Lehman said there is a cap on the amount of money available, but he wouldn’t say what it is because residents might expect to get the maximum amount.

The funds can be used for rental assistance and to make repairs to the damaged home, Lehman said. Money to pay for the contents also might be available depending on the insurance policy.

“We’re still in response mode,” he said. “After they’ve registered, that’s when the recovery mode starts.”

Staff writer Steve DeVane can be reached at devanes@fayobserver.com or 486-3572.

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/local/fema-homeowner-and-rental-assistance-available/article_2fc74c00-d941-57e9-8d63-35660e806020.html?utm_medium=social