The Political Agitator’s response: Wow! A must read! Damn! The lawsuit was filed, served, and settled on the same day—the day before Thanksgiving . . . I would think that the school Alums and supporters would be pissed about this. I’ll wait!
On Wednesday—before the long Thanksgiving weekend—the UNC Board of Governors agreed to settle a lawsuit filed by the North Carolina division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans over Silent Sam, the monument demonstrators had toppled in August 2018.
WRAL published a story on the settlement at 2:13 p.m.
Under the terms of the consent decree—which the BOG had approved during a closed session that morning—the neo-Confederate group would receive the 106-year-old monument plus $2.5 million in “non-state funds” for a “charitable trust” to care for it. The charitable trust can build a permanent home for the monument, just not near a UNC campus.
About an hour after the BOG met to consider the settlement, the Sons of Confederate Veterans served the university with the lawsuit that the Board of Governors had already agreed to settle.
You read that correctly: The lawsuit was filed, served, and settled on the same day—the day before Thanksgiving—with the UNC Board of Governors agreeing to pay the Sons of Confederate Veterans millions of dollars to honor a controversial statue that had been a source of division on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus for decades.
This odd timing was discovered by T. Greg Doucette—an attorney, former Board of Governors member, and INDY Voices columnist—who posted a Twitter thread on it Saturday. (Read Entire Article)
The Gate Keeper’s response: Wow! This is going to be interesting to see how this unfold.
Silent Sam is gone from UNC-Chapel Hill, but protests are planned for Saturday afternoon where the Confederate statue once stood on campus.
A group called Heirs to the Confederacy said on Facebook it will raise a Confederate flag where the controversial statue perched on its pedestal for more than a century until protesters tore it down in August. The protest is set to begin at noon, and the group said it will raise Confederate flags elsewhere on campus and throughout Chapel Hill.
Two other groups, Take Action Chapel Hill and Defend UNC, created a Facebook event called “Racists out of UNC: Rally, Pledge Drive, Re-contextualization.”
UNC-Chapel Hill issued a statement Friday saying officials know about the dueling protests. (Read more)
UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt, in a surprise announcement late Monday afternoon, said that she will resign after graduation this spring.
In a statement, Folt also said she had ordered the removal of the pedestal that held the Silent Sam Confederate monument.
“As chancellor, the safety of the UNC-Chapel Hill community is my clear, unequivocal and non-negotiable responsibility,” she wrote. “The presence of the remaining parts of the monument on campus poses a continuing threat both to the personal safety and well-being of our community and to our ability to provide a stable, productive educational environment. No one learns at their best when they feel unsafe.” (Read more)
On Thursday, Dec. 14 many prominent former North Carolina basketball players penned a letter condemning the University’s plan to build a $5 million solution for Silent Sam, the Confederate monument that stood in the middle of UNC’s upper quad before it was toppled in August.
Among those who signed the letter are Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Harrison Barnes, Marvin Williams, Danny Green, Wayne Ellington, Raymond Felton, John Henson, Isaiah Hicks, Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson, Ademola Okujala, J.R. Reid, David Noel, Brendan Haywood, and George Lynch.
This letter was separate from the open letter that over 200 current and former UNC student-athletes sent to North Carolina Chancellor Carol Folt, Dean Kevin Guskiewicz, Dean Steve Matson, the UNC Board of Trustees, the UNC Board of Governors, the North Carolina General Assembly and the North Carolina Historical Commission. (Read more)
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Protesters toppled the controversial “Silent Sam” statue on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
More than 300 protesters first gathered at the Peace and Justice Plaza at about 7:30 p.m., before marching to the base of the statue, calling for its removal. By 9:30 p.m., the statue was on the ground.
Protesters had sectioned off the area around the controversial statue with large banners and could be heard chanting, “stand up, fight back,” and “hey, hey, ho, ho, this racist statue has got to go.” Many also held signs.
The banners blocked the view of the statue, but people could be seen walking behind them. No one at the protest would speculate what was going on.
At one point, there were tense moments between protesters and police officers. Protesters deployed smoke canisters.
One person was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and for concealing one’s face during a public rally. (Read more)
Harry Smith, the new leader of the UNC Board of Governors, tried Friday to turn the page from politics to policy for a governing panel that has been known for internal discord and controversy.
He urged the board to come together and unite behind UNC President Margaret Spellings, who he called “a phenomenal” leader.
“Pettiness and politics we will not be remembered for,” Smith said in remarks after his first meeting. “But if we can get focused on some great policy areas that Margaret and I have robust discussions on, then we can enhance the system.”
Earlier, he told the board: “If Margaret has a position that this board does not support, it’s my hope we respect it. She brings a great experience, knowledge, and it’s my hope we recognize that. … I would ask this board to put any history … behind you, hard feelings and come together in a respectful manner. Take the fact, data and detail and make sure we get it right.” (Read more)