North Carolina General Assembly
Legislative Services Office
George R. Hall, Legislative Services Officer
August 27, 2012
*Vacancy Number: 1099-080212
Salary Range: $33,116 – $39,000
Hours: (See Schedule Requirements)
Closing Date: September 10, 2012 5:00 p.m.
*Vacancy number must be included on the application.
Interested applicants may obtain a General Assembly Application at the address below or by calling
919-715-1210; or by sending electronic mail to email@example.com; or by visiting our web site at
A separate application is required for each position.
General Duties: The Police Officer I provides for the security and protection of members, staff, and visitors and property on the State Legislative complex and throughout the state during special events as directed. The Police Officer I works under the direction of the Police Officer II. Recurring tasks and assignments are carried out with minimal supervision during the shift.
Examples of duties:
· Investigates criminal violations and suspicious activities and makes arrests or notifies other law enforcement personnel when necessary.
· Patrols legislative complex grounds and building facilities to enforce laws and regulations and to prevent theft, trespass, vandalism or other criminal activities.
· Enforces parking regulations and controls traffic flow on complex grounds.
· Assists with crowd control efforts
· Provides dignitary protection and coordinates such activities with other law enforcement personnel.
· Provides information, directions and other assistance to legislators, legislative employees, other state officials and the public.
· Responds to emergency calls.
· Monitors alarm and surveillance camera computer systems.
· Performs related duties as required.
· Graduation from high school or equivalency with successful completion of North Carolina’s Basic Law Enforcement Training.
· Special Requirements: Must acquire the general certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in accordance with the provisions established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission for certified law enforcement officers within 12 months of employment date.
· Ability to complete the Police Officers Physical Agility Test (POPAT) twice annually.
· Possession of a valid North Carolina motor vehicle operator’s license.
· Ability to effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
· Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions as well as possess the visual acuity to perform the duties of the position.
· Ability to prepare routine reports of activities engaged in and incidents investigated.
· Ability to work cooperatively and under pressure with legislators, legislative staff and the public on a daily
· Willingness and ability to work extra hours when required.
· Computer knowledge.
Special Schedule Requirements for this Position
Dupont Schedule: Four days 7am – 7pm; seven days off; four days 7pm – 7am; three days off; three days 7am – 7pm; one day off; three days 7pm – 7am; three days off. All 12-hour shifts. The Police Officer I will be expected to work all weekends and holidays as scheduled. The Police Officer may be required to work other than scheduled days and/or hours. Based on this schedule, the Police Officer I must be able to work without direct supervision.
Application Process: A General Assembly application must be received in the Personnel Office by 5:00 p.m. on September 10, 2012. Submit the application to:
Judy Braudwell, Personnel Office
Room 5 Legislative Building
16 West Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
For information about the position: Contact Jeff Weaver, Chief, 919-733-2159.
NOTE: A separate application is required for each position reflecting the vacancy announcement number. For your convenience, a General Assembly Application is available on our website at http://www.ncleg.net/NCGAInfo/Directories/Jobs.html.