County Health Rankings
The 2012 County Health Rankings report ranks North Carolina counties according to their summary measures of health outcomes and health factors. Counties also receive a rank for mortality, morbidity, health behaviors, clinical care, social and economic factors, and the physical environment.
The summary health outcomes rankings are based on an equal weighting of mortality and morbidity measures. The summary health factors rankings are based on weighted scores of four types of factors: behavioral, clinical, social and economic, and environmental. The weights for the factors are based upon a review of the literature and expert input, but represent just one way of combining these factors.
The percentage weight of each factor is listed below:
· Mortality (length of life) 50%
· Morbidity (quality of life) 50%
· Health behaviors (30%)
o E.g. tobacco use, diet & exercise, alcohol use, sexual activity
· Clinical care (20%)
o E.g. access to care, quality of care
· Social and economic factors (40%)
o E.g. education, employment, income, family & social support, community safety
· Physical environment (10%)
o Environmental quality, built environment
What can we do?
1) The most important action to take is for the whole county to work together to increase high school graduation in order to increase a healthy lifetime.
2) Assess needs and resources.
3) Focus on what’s important.
4) Choose effective policies and programs.
5) Act on what’s important.
6) Evaluate actions.
For more information:
· Visit www.countyhealthrankings.org or contact your local health department.
· Contact the North Carolina Public Health Association
o Jennifer Park, Public Health Administrator 3000 Industrial drive, Suite 140 Raleigh, NC 27609 IPARK@NCAPHA.ORG (919)828-6205
Note: The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps are produced by a team at the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute: County Health Rankings & Roadmaps * University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute * 610 Walnut Street, WARF 524 * Madison, WI, 53726 * (608) 265-6370